On our way to pick up a much needed grape slush from Sonic the other night, Aliyah began asking me a zillion questions about horses. Maybe it was due to the "back"-ish (still in the city) way that we took to get there. I got questions about types/colors/racing horses etc...
Finally, I told her that she needed to get a book on horses and just read because I simply didn't know the answers to all of these questions.
Granted, I have seen the Anheuser Busch clydesdales, but other than that I don't know the specifics. I will mention that the AB clydes are quite magnificent. I remember the one named "Captain". He was/is HUGE--very tall!
Once we arrived at Sonic, we waited in the drive-thru for the all important slushes while Aliyah proceeded to read all of the various signage around the place. It was at that moment that it dawned on me that I could enroll her in the summer reading program at the library and let her check out books about subjects that she has interest. The idea made her exuberant!
Today, we went to the library, signed her up for the program. The lady asked if she was reading books on her own. We told her "yes". I proceeded to ask her where we could find the books on horses. This lady has been at the library for YEARS & YEARS. In fact, she was head of the children's dept. when I was in the reading program as a child. Fortunately, things have gotten an upgrade in technology since my last visit =). I told the lady that she wanted to know all about horses. She told us that the books at Aliyah's reading age level were just stories about horses, but she would show us the non-ficion/info books and we could read them to her. I asked Aliyah which ones she wanted to check out and she pointed to a series of 5 (I knew that's what she would pick). We took them, signed her up for a library card, checked them out and on our way we went.
During the car ride, we heard all about Thoroughbred Horses. Aliyah was reading to us from the back seat. There were a couple of words she didn't know like "Secretariat" & "Citation", but didn't have a problem at all aside from that. So, we are ALL learning about horses =). It had big words like "thoroughbred" and such in it. Anyway, that is our happy library story. She can't wait to go back each week. The summer program is 5 books per week. I'm excited for her and this will sharpen her for 2nd grade.
On the swimming note...we did get to go swimming for the first time this summer--yesterday. It wasn't overly warm, but we made it. We were going to go tonight, but when we came out of the library--it was raining. Go figure!
Monday, June 15, 2009
The Library
Posted by heartsfulloflove at 6:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
What a great story! I used to carry books around at Aliyah's age and would always be anxious to share what was in them regardless of the subject. Keep her interested in reading! It is so important.
Post a Comment