Monday, November 3, 2008

Beetles

"Scientist Girl" a.k.a Aliyah has decided to collect and study beetles. WHAT?? She is a girl! I didn't think girls were THAT interested in bugs, especially gross ones. Not only that, but she gets Keirah interested in them as well. BTW, she claims that bugs and animals are not scared of her because she is a "scientist girl".
Josh looked up the type of beetles that have been in the yard and answered her questions. Before we looked it up, she originally thought it was a "whirlygig beetle". Now, don't ask me where she learned that because I don't know. There really are whirlygig beetles, but this isn't that type. I would have to ask Josh what they are called. They apparently like dead/decaying leaves. That might explain why we have seen them appear lately.
As if liking and learning about them weren't enough, she COLLECTS them!! We do NOT allow them into the house as they are gross honestly. I mean who wants a bunch of scary beetles in a jar in their house? Aliyah actually PICKS THEM UP to put them in her little contianer. After that, she climbs this little tree in our yard and hangs the little bottle as high as she can. She has put leaves, grass, and flowers in the bottle for their food. I don't even really like to look at them. She freaked out yesterday because a little one was on the big one's back. She was afraid the one would eat the other. She then freaked out because she was trying to remove the little one from the big one's back when the 3rd one crawled out. I mean freaked out as in TEARS. Josh captured the other one for her.
Keep in mind, this is the same girl that LOVES American Girl and who just got finished watching Kit Kittredge & Tinkerbell a few days ago!! I really don't know where this interest came from as neither Josh nor I were ever interested in bugs--EVER!
Thankfully, the beetle family is high up in the tree and the girls are enjoying some warm weather jumping on the trampoline. After all, I thought it was boys who collected creepy crawlies!

1 comments:

ADMIN said...

Good for her!
I always had a bug collection ( live of course), grasshoppers, ants, etc. and could spend hours watching and studying them. beetles are pretty and fun to watch.
My own kids are not at all interested in insects.
Where did I go wrong?
I bet your daughter be great in science!