Tuesday, August 19, 2008

a Break

Josh has been working a lot and we have been busy with super-packed days when he has been off, so we looked forward to a day off without much to do besides normal junk. We enjoyed Chili's dinner (it's one of our favorite places), and a few other errands last night. We took in more of the Olympics and saw more of the crazy gymnastics scoring. I wanted to sleep in today, however Keirah had other ideas so I just got up and enjoyed some computer time. We all got an early start and went shopping. Shopping was pretty quick actually. We took the afternoon to chill and take tiny naps. Josh mowed and did yardwork. He grilled some chicken on his new grill for dinner.
I planned to watch the Olympics and chill some more, but Aliyah is itching to start schoolwork. Now, yesterday when the rest of her books came in, she declared that she could now start school (to my chagrin). I wanted to wait til after Labor Day. Well, she did some lessons last night and I couldn't stop her--she kept going and going. Tonight, I thought she could do some if she wanted to. I used that time to organize school books, supplies and get a schedule together. I got it all done and it is very organized. She (the little energizer bunny), made it to lesson 11 already!! I had to stop her because it was bath time/bedtime. I'm glad she is good at it and loves to do school!! So far, first grade is great.
While doing school, I got a call from Julie's hubs to say that she needs another surgery due to fluid leakage. There is a lot going on there with the kids in school, the business, the house addition, and of course mama being in the hospital. Most importantly, pray that they get Julie's issues fixed so she can feel good and heal quickly!! Pray for the kids and daddy that they will be comforted and things will go fine without mama being there.
Well, the house is pretty clean, the to-do list is much smaller and I feel like I've had a break, so mission accomplished for this day off.

2 comments:

ADMIN said...

Hooray for your daughter!
My kids used to love to do school work, too.
The would work endlessly and enjoy every minute. Then in 4th grade, the teacher started giving them so much homework that it killed the fun for them.
I bet homeschooling a first grader is a lot of fun!

heartsfulloflove said...

thanks, Mimi, I love your blog BTW...
Yep--I think homework is way overdone!! Kids need downtime from school too just like we adults need downtime from work =).